Author Topic: Who else is doing the p90x?  (Read 50729 times)

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
Re: Who else is doing the p90x?
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2010, 09:28:28 AM »
Not necessarily. I was running consistently about a year ago. I lost a ton of weight, but also a ton of muscle. I couldn't shake this body fat.

My best friend used to be a trainer, and another good friend is a body builder. They both say that the key to losing fat that has been with you a while is to lift weights along with cardio. Breaking down the muscle helps break loose the fat, then you burn it off with cardio.

I'm the smallest I've been since high school, and I eat the same as I always have. This P90X is awesome.

BTW, I've been doing my routine again. Ankle is feeling a lot better. Almost done with this week, two more weeks after this one!

musclecaralley

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.musclecaralley.org
« Reply #161 on: February 19, 2010, 08:56:48 PM »
I have been doing this type of work out since december, I was wieghing in at almost 200lbs  :-(
I am now down to 185 :smile:

I work out 3 nights a week for 1.5 hrs non stop even if i'm cramping or feel as if i cannot go anymore, thats were the progress shows and the conditioning starts pay off, you gotta push through it. You will notice you will start to feel hungry all the time and thats good, your metabolism is working. I completely changed my diet, and i would recommend anyone to talk to a nutritionist to find out what is best for you. You can't work out than go eat pizza and chips, its not going to work. I eat 5-6 meals a day, just not huge meals.

I also run 2 miles 2 nights and take the other 2 nights off to recover

2 hrs before my work out I will eat a turkey sandwich on wheat bread with mustard, 1 hr before my work out i drink 8 oz of a whey & casein blend (Elite Gourmet) to get that additional protien in. You do not want to drink anything before the work out this will minimize the cramps and do not eat atleast 2 hrs before.
After the work out its VERY important to get protien in atleast a half hour after, what i do is make a tuna salad and dink a 8 oz of whey & casien again with gatorade or skim milk ( anything high in protien will work). The only time sugar is ok for you is after a hard work out and thats what gatorade has.
If i feel hungry later i mix up 8oz of 100% casien, this is a very slow acting protien that will help you feel not so hungry so your not digging around in your cupboards.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2010, 08:58:27 PM by musclecaralley »
www.musclecaralley.org

1999 30th 6 spd
1998 T/A 408 auto
1995 Z/28 6 spd

Warren

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #162 on: February 23, 2010, 08:15:50 PM »
Not necessarily. I was running consistently about a year ago. I lost a ton of weight, but also a ton of muscle. I couldn't shake this body fat.

My best friend used to be a trainer, and another good friend is a body builder. They both say that the key to losing fat that has been with you a while is to lift weights along with cardio. Breaking down the muscle helps break loose the fat, then you burn it off with cardio.

I'm the smallest I've been since high school, and I eat the same as I always have. This P90X is awesome.

BTW, I've been doing my routine again. Ankle is feeling a lot better. Almost done with this week, two more weeks after this one!

Well my mom can explain it better, I gave the brief synopsis. I could get her to, if anyone really wants it, it's good information to know.

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #163 on: February 24, 2010, 03:37:26 PM »
I'm just finishing up week 8 and am so excited to finally be back to a workout week.  The programs for recovery weeks just leave me feeling like there is more I should be accomplishing (What a turnaround when I used to just sit around and do nothing every night).

chief many horses

• Active Forum Member
  • when all else fails GAS IT!
« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »
its great to hear you guys doing this :-D

im 40 and have been workin out since i was about 19 or so. i had stopped bmx racin/riding and wanted to do something to keep me in shape. ive always been fairly strong, i can still ALMOST deadlift 400lbs(375), but my cardio has always suffered. to rectify that ive been boxing with a buddies MMA fight team, well ive been their punching bag LOL. tonight i start their kick boxing class, a 45minute gruelling work out they say. i ask how i was supposed to defend against punches AND kicks when i cant avoid the punches?! i was told "you'll learn quick if you dont like getting hit". 

PLEASE wish me luck LOL :shock:

btw out of 12 guys my buddy josh is the oldest at 30 the rest are early 20's. im gonna get my *ss handed to me :lol:

« Reply #164 on: February 24, 2010, 04:29:32 PM »

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #165 on: February 25, 2010, 04:38:21 PM »
Week 9.  I'm so glad to be back off of a recovery week.  Tonight's workout kicked my butt.  I really miss that about recovery week.

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #166 on: March 01, 2010, 09:42:28 AM »
I still am needing to do these last two weeks. I've been having a ton of troubles with my left ankle, which has made me only able to do maybe half of a few workouts. I am not going to advance my time until I can get a full exercise in. Last night I was able to do a complete Kenpo, which finishes up that week. Hopefully I can do the next two weeks continuously so I can start the Insanity videos, provided my ankle heals up. I need to go buy a new ankle brace, I'll do that tonight.

johnsma22

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #167 on: March 01, 2010, 07:02:31 PM »
Started week 11 two weeks ago. Only got 3 days in and had to go away on business. Then last week my wife and I got the flu really bad so we skipped last week. So we decided to just start week 11 over again today. Three more weeks and we're done with this go around. We plan to take 2-3 weeks off and then start the whole 90 day program over again.

That will get us to the end of June when we plan to take the summer off. I don't think I'll be able to completely stop working out as I've become hooked on PUMP!!! I started running a little but the weather has not cooperated. Spring's just around the corner.

Thanks for pointing out Insanity birdman. That looks very interesting! That looks like something I'd like to do after this next go around with P90X and then our little summer break. I want to start seeing some before and after pics (if you dare, LOL). I'll post up some when we finish in 3 more weeks.
John

collects t/a's

• Oracle Forum Member
  • T-rans-A-maholi-C with a '67 fastback !
« Reply #168 on: March 01, 2010, 08:39:56 PM »
Keep up the good work everyone.  :-D
Bryan, .... a.k.a. Ricky Ricardo, .... you know, .... I love Lucy!!

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #169 on: March 02, 2010, 03:42:16 PM »
I'll definitely post some up. I'm really happy with the results so far!

BanditDave

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #170 on: March 02, 2010, 07:22:55 PM »
Just got going on this again. I am dedicated this time...today is a yoga day so i will be getting ready to start in a few minutes. Wanted to let dinner settle a bit.

Little back story on me...I used to be very large 6' 260lbs then lost a ton of weight during college working out, running, etc...everyday. Lost a total of 80 lbs. Started lifting a lot, got up to around 185 or so. I stuck with that for many years. Bought a house, got a girlfriend, got engaged....gained 30 of it back...haha Now I am around 210-215 on any given day and I hate it.

SO....no more excuses, i am hitting this up again. Interesting thing with me is that while I got a nice belly on me and some annoying back fat - yuck - I am not without muscle. It was funny last night how arms and shoulders reminded me that last night. My arms felt like they were going to BURST!

Today I am taking it a little easier...I may do yoga, I may not. I know I am eating quite a lot better. Kinda cheated on my workout tonight...snuck into the garage and welded in some of my exhaust. :lol: :lol:

Had a few questions for you guys doing it. When did you really start to see results? What's your diet like? And do you do all the workouts - Yoga included?

Thanks and keep up the good work guys!
Dave
Back in the TA saddle again...its good to be home.

johnsma22

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #171 on: March 02, 2010, 07:44:07 PM »
Had a few questions for you guys doing it. When did you really start to see results? What's your diet like? And do you do all the workouts - Yoga included?

Thanks and keep up the good work guys!
Dave

I really started to "see" results after the first month. I felt the results after the first week. My diet is as close to the P90X diet as I can stand. I follow it so closely that I don't feel too bad when I satisfy some craving once and awhile. A high protein diet has a way of ridding you of the craving for carbs anyway. Yes, I do all the workouts, especially yoga. Yoga truly ties all of your hard work together. Don't sell yoga short. I've also seen some lamenting the recovery week as "boring". While it might not be as dynamic as the regular strength training weeks, it's essential to success. Your body needs that time to recover so that the muscle confusion can continue at a high level again. The science behind this program is quite precise and a lot of time went into it's development, so follow it to the letter and get RIPPED!
« Last Edit: March 02, 2010, 07:46:05 PM by johnsma22 »
John

crazy81

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #172 on: March 09, 2010, 10:49:39 PM »
 I ve been following this thread for awhile and now I'm in too.
 Started this week and am getting my but kicked. I'm only getting about 1/3 of the reps in. I havn't worked out in over a year so I'm pretty out of shape, plus it's very different than the way I have traditionally worked out. I'm 46, 6'3 and 210 right now. I will follow the program as close as I can. The diet gets kind of complicated but I'm determined to stick with it.
  Thanks for keeping this thread going as I would not be doing P0X without it.

johnsma22

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #173 on: March 10, 2010, 08:23:30 PM »
I ve been following this thread for awhile and now I'm in too.
 Started this week and am getting my but kicked. I'm only getting about 1/3 of the reps in. I havn't worked out in over a year so I'm pretty out of shape, plus it's very different than the way I have traditionally worked out. I'm 46, 6'3 and 210 right now. I will follow the program as close as I can. The diet gets kind of complicated but I'm determined to stick with it.
  Thanks for keeping this thread going as I would not be doing P0X without it.

Congratulations! Don't worry about keeping up. Those guys (and gals) are lunatics! Their saying says it best; "do your best and forget the rest!" Pretty sore right about now, I'll bet? LOL!
John

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »
Yoga is great. I hate that it is 1:30 long, but my back feels so good after I get through with it.

The other night I didn't have enough time to do a full P90X routine, so I went for a jog. I started out with a fast pace just to see how it would take me. I ran 3 miles, only got winded on a couple of the uphills, and easily recovered. I couldn't believe it. I am literally in the best shape of my life.

A little over a week left and I am starting the Insanity.  :cool:

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2010, 02:34:38 PM »

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #175 on: March 24, 2010, 07:19:23 AM »
I've been so busy here recently I haven't had the time to dedicate the hour + to P90X, How is everyone else doing? I've been keeping in shape other ways. I'm consistently 237lbs, lowest I've been in over 10 years.

Last night I went for a run. Back a couple years ago when I was running a lot, the best I could do was 3 miles in 32 minutes. Last night I ran 3 miles in 24 minutes. Seriously.

Then I did 50 pushups and 100 ab exercises.

I can't believe I am in this good of shape. I feel so good right now.  :cool:

johnsma22

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #176 on: March 24, 2010, 07:35:26 AM »
We finished the program on Sunday! We're going to take a few weeks off and then we are going to do it again. Without exaggeration, I'm in the best shape of my life at 42! It's funny, but i didn't gain or lose a single pound. I started at 180 with 26% body fat to 180 with 17% body fat. I always knew I had abs but I couldn't see them from under the fat, LOL! I'm looking forward to going to the beach this summer, taking my shirt off and not worrying that someone will yell for people to help them roll me back in the ocean, LOL!
John

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #177 on: March 25, 2010, 06:45:52 AM »
I hear ya man! I am actually looking forward to the beach this year, first time in forever I'll feel comfortable on the beach.  :cool:

I measured out the night before last and it was actually 2.25 miles. Last night I ran 3 miles in 26 minutes.  :cool:

I need to get this last bit of stomach off, so I'm going to run my tail off. I want to get up to running 6-8 miles. We'll see.  :grin:

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #178 on: March 25, 2010, 02:04:08 PM »
I got sick and had to take a couple of weeks off but just finished week 11.  I've gotten lots of compliments on the change.  Still not where I want to be but I've still got a couple of months before summer officially gets here.

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #179 on: April 05, 2010, 07:35:46 PM »
Started Insanity tonight, kicked my tail.  :shock:

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #180 on: April 08, 2010, 07:46:15 AM »
Tonight is night 4 of Insanity. What a friggin' workout!  :shock:

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #181 on: April 10, 2010, 09:11:13 PM »
First week of Insanity done, tomorrow is my recovery night. Wow what a friggin' workout. I honestly think I may puke now.

tribute

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #182 on: April 11, 2010, 06:43:42 AM »
I finished the P90X program and am pretty pleased with the results.  I'm not yet where I want to be but feel worlds better.  I can't really say I'm in the best shape of my life yet but am getting close.  The first time I did higher reps and decided to up the weight for my second round.  What I found is that I wasn't lifting nearly heavy enough because I am still doing 12-15 reps lifting 10 lbs more for pretty much every exercise.  I am also running on the non-lifting days.  First time I've seriously ran in 4 years and I'm surprised how far I can actually go.  I didn't get day 90 pics but will hopefully get some day 97 pics and then some day 180 pics now that I've made the modifications to the program. 

Good luck with Insanity.  I thought about that program as well but it didn't really say that it did any weight lifting and after spending the money on weights for P90X I want to ensure that I continue to use them.

Bottom line, thanks to everyone who posted to this thread.  That is what gave me the desire to attempt and then stick with the program. 

collects t/a's

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #183 on: April 11, 2010, 10:02:35 PM »
Bottom line, thanks to everyone who posted to this thread.  That is what gave me the desire to attempt and then stick with the program. 

That is awesome!! Everybody that has contributed to this thread has been an encouragement to me too.  :cool:

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #184 on: April 27, 2010, 08:03:14 AM »
How is everyone doing with their exercising?

I was almost done with week 2 of Insanity and then got a head cold, followed by an intestinal bug. I had to take about a week and a half off, so I just restarted Insanity. Last night I just finished week 1 again.

Sucks having to start over, but not like I wouldn't be exercising now anyway!  :cool:

johnsma22

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #185 on: April 27, 2010, 08:31:44 AM »
Everything is going well birdman. Thanks for asking, LOL! My wife and I are in the third week of our second go around with P90X. After this time around we are going to take the summer off except for some weekly maintenance so that we don't go backwards too much. In the fall we plan on doing P90X plus and then Insanity next winter. I LOVE post workout soreness!!! It makes me feel alive!

I see that nobody has posted up any pics yet, including me, LOL! Let's see those fat a$$es people, LOL!
John

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #186 on: April 27, 2010, 08:56:16 AM »
I plan on doing the P90X plus after I finish Insanity.

We'll see how it goes though, about the time I finish Insanity is about the time we'll have a newborn in the house.  :lol:

collects t/a's

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #187 on: April 27, 2010, 12:27:35 PM »
I see that nobody has posted up any pics yet, including me, LOL! Let's see those fat a$$es people, LOL!

:lol: ROTFLMAO!!  :lol:  :lol:

I'm still down 9 lbs. from when I started, the routine has been hard lately because of my 2 kids.  :???:

Birdman

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #188 on: May 17, 2010, 09:19:02 AM »
Week 3 of Insanity is done!

Week 4 starts tomorrow. We'll see how it goes!  :cool:

78TAGuy

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #189 on: December 20, 2010, 01:39:05 PM »
I am really thinking about doing this
I'm in OK shape I do a lot of push ups I did 35 in a row this morning

I don't need to lose weight just gain muscle
Would you recommend it?
Luke
1999 Ford Ranger aka "Power Ranger"
1978 TA Stock Original
1978 TA Project car
Performance competition racing mower

Warren

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #190 on: December 29, 2010, 02:56:49 PM »
This will definately tone you. I don't think you will gain a crazy amount of muscle, but your muscles will definately stand out more.

iamwayne12

• Forum Member
« Reply #191 on: October 08, 2018, 05:18:17 AM »
Wow, I see so many fitness freaks here, doing this is tough you know. I tried but failed har enough lol. Magic Drinks to lose belly fat

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #192 on: October 08, 2018, 08:02:28 AM »
Ironically, I enjoyed having the P90X thread bumped by Wayne here before I banned him for being a stealth spammer.  Anybody still doing P90X or similar?  Interesting to see some of the guys who no longer post here.

My wife is trying to get me to do more high intensity interval stuff but I hate to get into that at my age.  Too painful, ha ha.  I took a break from P90X and have been lifting weights, but I need to shift back to something more cardio.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #193 on: October 09, 2018, 07:36:20 AM »
x2 on seeing some of the old ghosts, I have no idea what p90x is. I am overweight by no where near obese and could use a bit of a kickstart towards better health. My job is pretty physical most of the time and that helps keep me in check but I could always do more.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter