Author Topic: Plastic model kits.......a dying hobby  (Read 1303 times)

RT80BIRD

• Active Forum Member
Plastic model kits.......a dying hobby
« on: February 03, 2018, 12:37:09 PM »
Plenty of good childhood /teenage memories and hours upon hours spent building plastic models of cars. I have a "collection" of about 225 unbuilt kits now as an adult and trying to get my son into them as the hobby is almost dead with todays generation. Anyone else into model kits? I have been lucky to find, on ebay,  some of my favorites I built as a kid and am going to in a desperate attempt relive my youth one kit at a time and build them a second time. Mostly hot rods and classic cars, muscle cars.
"If I wasn't in hot pursuit, I'd have dat bum an' his Yakasuki bicycle in d'clink!!"

1980 Firebird, Cameo White with Carmine Red interior. Pontiac 350, TH350 trans, 3:08 posi rear. Owned since 1992

Johnny ace

• Active Forum Member
Re: Plastic model kits.......a dying hobby
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2018, 01:58:25 PM »
I have around 1000 unbuilt kits,some going back to the 1950's.most of my collection is aircraft,but I do have some cars,almost all are Pontiacs.I have not built much lately,altho I just finished an airplane kit.

SP Steve

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2018, 02:07:09 PM »
The military kits seem to be going strong. Many model building channels on YouTube.

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2018, 07:58:45 PM »
I too have many good memories of building models in our bedroom growing up. I still build models now. The one I just recently finished was a '68 Firebird coupe that on a  whim I made into a convertible. I also receive a magazine Don Keefe's Poncho Perfection that has a semi regular column devoted to the model building part of our hobby.
Mark                                                                                                                  1978 Silver Trans Am 400 Automatic1967 Firebird 326 3 speed manual

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »
Not sure how well the model kits are still selling online, but I imagine the popularity went down a lot as most of the local hobby shops went out of business.  I may be getting old but part of the enjoyment was being able to pick from the selection on the shelf.

The only local place around us still selling plastic models is Michael's - I've bought my son all of his kits from there.  The selection isn't fantastic, but for some odd reason they always seem to have a 2nd gen TA model in stock :grin:
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop L78
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2018, 08:13:34 PM »

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2018, 08:51:48 PM »
I model a bit and even have a dedicated area in the basement to do it. I mainly do aircraft and armor only. Haven't done a car in many years.
Jeff
2016 Victory Cross Country
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
69 F'Bird P-Touring T/A tribute to be
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

RT80BIRD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2018, 07:53:24 PM »
Glad to see some of you still do models whether its a plane or car or whatever. Im finishing up an exact replica of the GMC A-Team van and has taken me three years so far. Its about perfect. ( only do modeling in winter)Also doing a zinger mini model of the little red A100 dodge and an 80 cobra mustang. I too have a bench in the basement dedicated for model building. Im not a pro builder by any means but some of my finished ones  surpass my expectations. Its all in the details!!
"If I wasn't in hot pursuit, I'd have dat bum an' his Yakasuki bicycle in d'clink!!"

1980 Firebird, Cameo White with Carmine Red interior. Pontiac 350, TH350 trans, 3:08 posi rear. Owned since 1992

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2018, 09:13:53 PM »
I remember being young at my local Walmart and the model section was my favorite.  I don't think they've had model kits at Walmart in 20 years though. 

Another thing I remember doing when I was younger was building a radio controlled monster truck and boat....then the RTR (Ready-to-Run) versions came out.  Today it's just less common to find hobby level RC cars and trucks that you build. 
1979 Trans Am 400 T-top - Platinum Silver, Carmine Interior
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61460.0

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2018, 08:40:06 AM »
I have box's full of built models in the basement i have been carting around for years. Wife kept wanting to toss but that is one i won. Have been tempted to pull them out and resurrect but time is tough. When i was a pre teen pop would give me a $5 a week allowance. On Friday evenings he would drop me off at Western Auto on his way to the bank. I would get a model, some glue and a few jars of testors paint. Still have some money left. That kit would keep me busy through the weekend (circa 1974-1978).
I would get Hubley steel models for Christmas and birthdays, they were pretty special. There is a nice hobby shop near me that has a great selection of models and i had sticker shock last time i looked at them.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

RT80BIRD

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2018, 11:38:22 AM »
roadking77, you revived a memory of when I was 8 or 9 going to local K Mart with parents  and staring at all the snap tite models that were wrapped in cellophane and actually folded on the ends. I have a couple still like that in my collection. They cost a couple bucks in late seventies and now the modern ones are 20 bucks and are junk. The plastic used nowadays is crap and very thin. Pretty sad that most kits now are re issues of older kits cause most of todays cars are so cookie cutter. Who wants to build a Buick enclave?

Rickard080TA

• Active Forum Member
  • 1980 TA SE
      • 1980 TRANS AM SE
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2018, 06:35:55 PM »
I think part of the reason it is dieing is the price. Its just plastic and stickers, but wow even a simple one is over $20. This is what stops me from doing them. I used to build them up until my mid 20s. I wanted to get back into them a few years ago and can;t justify the cost for a hobby.
Drive it like it's a rental.

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2018, 04:10:24 AM »
Prices are crazy for sure, the armor and aircraft kits that I usually do easily go for $50+. My mother worked for a model manufacturer/distributor in early 2000s when I was in my young 30s. Needless to say that is how I got reintroduced to the hobby. I used to go in and hang out with the owners of the company (very well known and incredible at the hobby individuals) I gained so much knowledge from them.

I have to say that I was in awe at all the kits and aftermarket photo etch and resin items that are available for them. Not to mention that I usually have to build some form of diorama base to set them in with figures/buildings etc. Needless to say I was hooked and luckily I got a discount with them. No more discount nowadays so I usually purchase all my models and accessories via second hand on the forums. I couldn't afford it otherwise.
Jeff
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: February 08, 2018, 08:32:10 AM »
The store near me is really good, lots of cool stuff, trains, r/c cars and planes, models etc. but they are expensive. The basic car kits are about $30. Even the simple snap on kits are over $20. They had a large scale Knight Rider "kitt" that was $125!!!! To me that is just too much money.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Maryland Bandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2018, 01:21:19 PM »
I remember being a kid in the 70's and going to Toys R Us. Two whole rows of Revell, Mongram, you name it brands. Now, gone!
Always wanted to build the big version of the B-52 Strato Fortress they had there. Cars, planes, ships, armor, was all there back in the day.

T/A81blue

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »
I remember being a kid in the 70's and going to Toys R Us. Two whole rows of Revell, Mongram, you name it brands. Now, gone!
Always wanted to build the big version of the B-52 Strato Fortress they had there. Cars, planes, ships, armor, was all there back in the day.
i remember this also...i would save my allowance and buy armor kits...I didnt have  the skill to paint them other than od green tho...

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2018, 03:17:23 PM »

firebirdparts

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #15 on: February 11, 2018, 08:55:06 PM »
I know I was paying $5 or $6 for them 35 years ago, so I guess $30 is fair game.  It does seem like a lot.  When you're really desperate for something to do, though, they are great.
I want to be like Paul Kenny when I grow up
Joe Bays
1977 Y82 4-speed (red interior)
1978 Skybird 350
1978 Redbird 305
1979 Redbird 301 4-speed
1992 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE (red)
1970 Datsun Pickup
1953 Chevy pickup (converted 4x4)
1988 T-bird Turbo Coupe

79nocturne

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2018, 06:52:20 PM »
I loved building them as a kid.  One of favorites was a Peterbuilt 18 Wheeler circa 1976,77.  I remember I lost one of the tires, so I mounted the rim on the trailer with no tire, just the rigs I saw rolling the highways missing a tire.

I bought my stepson a A14 warthog model kit because he was so into the warthog after seeing one at the Pensacola airforce museum in FL.  Well he apparently is never going to build it...still sitting on his closet shelf.  Seems more interested in mine craft and YouTube videos.   I don't push him.  Maybe I'll get my own and start building it, then he realize how cool that is.
79 Trans Am 6.6 403 Olds
11 Chevy Suburban LTZ
84 Honda Magna vf700
82 Yamaha Maxim
98 Polaris XLT Special - 600 triple
97 Polaris Indy 500 Classic
22" Toro Rearbagger Rearwheel drive
21 HP Huskee 7speed 42" Riding Mower
Yokota 700c Bicycle
Sears 16" Self Sharpening Chainsaw
Ryan Weed Eater

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 02:36:47 PM »
One of my favorites I got for Christmas one year was the KW from 'Movin' On". 
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: September 30, 2018, 07:08:18 AM »
One problem over the years is as you improve on kits, you find you can't get rid of older models. There's no room, you can't sell them, you can't give them away.

T/A Addict

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #19 on: September 30, 2018, 08:07:52 AM »
Kits are constantly improving year after year and yes kind of make the old ones obsolete but if you have patience and skill even old kits can end up an excellent build. I'm always on the look out for any kits that are good deals regardless of the year but yes they do demand less cost.
Jeff
TATA '72 455 HO Auto
79 T/A 403 Solar Gold
2010 Challenger R/T  PCP

Aus78Formula

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: September 30, 2018, 08:15:15 AM »
Not just the unbuilt models, the models you have built that sit in boxes or drawers as not displayed, have nowhere to display, rather not display...can't do anything with them. I tried to give a few model planes and cars to some young nephews as gifts with a difference, and to perhaps create an interest in models, but no, it doesn't make a noise, or fire anything, and it's not PS4. None have the patience these days, it's all interests with immediate gratification or they push it aside.

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #21 on: September 30, 2018, 05:09:19 PM »
Forgot about this post.

I was at my godfathers house this summer and he showed me a large scale ‘79 10th Anniversary Trans Am model kit he as unopened.  That was a big wow for me...brand new!  Wonder what that would be worth for a collector.

737driver

• Oracle Forum Member
  • "Life is hard, It's Harder when your'e Stupid.."
      • My Trans Am - Restoration Project
« Reply #22 on: October 01, 2018, 10:51:43 AM »
I have been building kits since I was a kid, mostly planes. I started off with plastic then moved over into wood and flying models (Radio Control). Back in the day you had to build a kit and build it to fly. As the years moved on , Almost Ready to Fly started to become popular which required assembly (not building but assembly). A few years later that changed to Ready to Fly and Plug and Play. That has become the normal in model aviation.

Maybe that is one of a few reasons I got back into cars 6 years ago. I love doing restoration and project work. I joked to my girlfriend last year when I started the Lemans project, I told her we were putting the car back into kit form again. When the car was completley disassembled and off the frame I told her this is just like a plastic model car kit now. She joked about it being a bit more complex than that, maybe so, but its just a full scale kit, right?

The younger kids now a days do live in a plug and play world, they were raised with it. However I believe some still find the challenge of straying from the norm. The issue is that building a kit seems over whelming and challenging. Kids need to find the encouragment, dedication,  time and patience to attempt it. What always kept me going whether it was build kits, cars or airplanes was the support from others. What kept me to keep doing it was the satisfaction of accomplishment.

As a car focused group such as ours, I am sure we all know what that is like. It is a rewarding addiction that few can understand.

Jim
1979 Trans Am- Heritage Brown -W72 (Pontiac 400) -4Speed-WS6
1972 LeMans Convertible
1972Firebird
1971 Firebird
1970 Firebird

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 14, 2018, 02:10:15 PM »
Jonathanar89,  I have a 1980 black and gold edition model that I built in 1980. It is the turbo model and I still have it in my garage in the original box. Needs some refurbishing but it still looks cool to me.
Mark                                                                                                                  1978 Silver Trans Am 400 Automatic1967 Firebird 326 3 speed manual

jonathonar89

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: October 14, 2018, 03:43:35 PM »
Jonathanar89,  I have a 1980 black and gold edition model that I built in 1980. It is the turbo model and I still have it in my garage in the original box. Needs some refurbishing but it still looks cool to me.

Nice, that’s cool!  One person I know that’s into finding these cars is Joe from TTA Performance.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: October 14, 2018, 05:31:39 PM »
I have built loads of these things growing up, and they were also a college thing my room mate ans I did.  Other guys off to the bar to get hammered, we were building model kits.  I still need to finish the '75 formula kit I started.  The prices,have gone high enough I just cant justify the hobby any more, but I am looking to find a good visible v8 to build with my son.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2018, 06:13:39 AM »
Nice that you have a '75 model kit. I've been looking for years and all I've found is a '74.

mz-formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2018, 07:28:42 AM »
I have both the dealer promo and the kit.  Both are tough finds.

FormTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2018, 09:47:25 AM »
Most of us grew out of it and went on to build the real deals. That's where all of our time and money goes now...

I too have one of those 1/10 scale anniversary T/A kits. I opened it but never did anything with it...
79 Trans am 301 (work in progress) LS swap n progress
79 Formula 301 (Work in progress)
67 RS Camaro (Work in progress)
See the recurring theme???

silvert/a

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2018, 05:56:15 PM »
Well on a rainy day when you don't have the parts or money to do anything on your full size T/A, you could take some time to put the miniature version.   

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 05:38:08 AM »
I have both the dealer promo and the kit.  Both are tough finds.

If you happen to run across one let me know.

« Reply #30 on: November 03, 2018, 05:38:08 AM »
You can help support TAC!