transamcountry.com
September 01, 2014, 07:48:19 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  

Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Cheap way to mount a shaker?  (Read 2865 times)
Tony79WS6
Active Forum Member

« on: July 30, 2009, 09:52:23 AM »

I have a 400 in my car with a Professional Products Crosswind intake, and a Holley Street Avenger carb. I need some way to mount the shaker to the engine, and cheaply. I was thinking about getting 4 pieces of bar stock and making brackets that will mount it to the intake, so it hovers over a small air cleaner. I was going to get one of the WFO shaker bases, but don't really have the money right now. Didn't someone on here do something like this? I don't want to mount it to the hood!

-1979 WS6 T/A: Awaiting restoration
-1987 Shelby CSX #115: Fast little sleeper project
-2012 Mazda 3: Daily Driver
-1997 Dodge Dakota: Weekend beater/parts hauler
rad400
Active Forum Member

dematt70@hotmail.com
Conrad DeMatteis
Email
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 10:57:31 AM »

I am going to make my own one of these days and use the "Dude Scoop" I got from the Pontiac Dude (Ken Keffer).

Conrad
"Nitrous is like a hot girl with an STD, u wanna hit, but ur afraid of the consequences." Brian Hedrick
ayers1981
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2009, 11:06:25 AM »

If the back is open do what i did . Cut a flat piece of metal and rivet it to the metal part of the shaker and drill a hole in it . Go thrugh the back of the shaker to put a nut on the carb stud to hold it in place . I also drilled 2 more holes in it and put 2 more bolts with nuts at the back of the shaker and resting on the air cleaner to help keep it level .  It works.

Is it fast? It has a bird on the hood don't it!
BBATCAR
Active Forum Member

I'd rather be cruisin'

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2009, 11:14:25 AM »

You can go to a restaurant supply store and buy some cake baking pans, cut out the different diameters and rivit together. I have a big 455 Olds in my car and the WFO kit still sat too high  Confused so I had to use a combination of cake pans and WFO kit to make it fit... With some planning and other sheet metal you could probably make your own...

1978 Trans Am WS6, true Blk/Blk/T-Top
Olds 403 bored .030 => 409
CompCam 1.6 Rocker/Pushrod Kit
Heads Machined and Larger 2" & 1.625" Valves
Custom Cam 488/496 216/226 113*
Thornton Reproduction Larger Manifolds & Magnaflows
Built Up 350TH Trans, 1600 stall, 3:23 rear ratio
Jet Black w/ SE decals
Tony79WS6
Active Forum Member

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2009, 11:33:01 AM »

You can go to a restaurant supply store and buy some cake baking pans, cut out the different diameters and rivit together. I have a big 455 Olds in my car and the WFO kit still sat too high  Confused so I had to use a combination of cake pans and WFO kit to make it fit... With some planning and other sheet metal you could probably make your own...

Sounds interesting. Got any pics? I have an air cleaner from a '77 Delta 88 (same exact diameter as a stock shake base!)that I can cut up. I was actually thinking of doing this a long time ago, but using a drop base from a parts store chrome 14'' setup as the bottom part instead of the bundt pan.

-1979 WS6 T/A: Awaiting restoration
-1987 Shelby CSX #115: Fast little sleeper project
-2012 Mazda 3: Daily Driver
-1997 Dodge Dakota: Weekend beater/parts hauler
banone403
Active Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2009, 02:06:02 PM »

I have a '79 T/A that I put a 455 Olds in. I mounted the shaker to the hood. It doesn't seem like you want to do that, but it has really worked well and looks good. that way I could use a chrome air cleaner and that looks so much nicer than seeing that shaker when you open the hood and having to work on the carb is much easier too.
Thomasmoto
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 10:40:25 AM »

I saw a TA with what you are decribing on V-8 TV. It was white with a blue stripe. A 1970 I think. They covered the whole resto/modded project.
David T

1979 W72 WS6 Black on Black
2011 Corvette Grand Sport
David Thomas
BBATCAR
Active Forum Member

I'd rather be cruisin'

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 02:31:58 PM »

Sounds interesting. Got any pics? I have an air cleaner from a '77 Delta 88 (same exact diameter as a stock shake base!)that I can cut up. I was actually thinking of doing this a long time ago, but using a drop base from a parts store chrome 14'' setup as the bottom part instead of the bundt pan.
[/quote]

I will try and post pictures however it is hard to see the pans inside the WFO piece. From the outside it looks like a regular are cleaner. I got a catalog from "Big Tray" restaurant supply but it was to insert inside the WFO unit so it would drop further. It was a 12" pan, but the regular shaker is bigger than that. You could get a flat piece of aluminum & cut out a hole for the carb and the outer edge the size of the shaker unit. I tried this first and it works, the only problem is that it sat too low for me.... You could probably use two pieces this way with metal washers to create the gap.... It's kinda hard to explain here... PM me with your phone number and I can call you to explain a couple options...

Jet Black w/ SE decals
OrigOwner77
Oracle Forum Member

My cars' shakers are mounted to the hood!

Woodward286
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2009, 08:18:48 AM »

<--------  Laughing

Here is my totally reversible way of mounting the shaker to the hood. This setup is designed to be used WITH an open scoop for cold, fresh air intake.

I simply used a piece of aluminum channel for a support along the backside, a small angle bracket to hold the front up, and siliconed with GE Black silicone all the way around to make it water-resistant.

*This is TOTALLY reversible as well. All holes I used were existing in the hood channels. The silicone peels off cleanly as well. I've had the shaker on the 77 this way for probably 20 years. Took it down a year ago to touch it up and the silicone came off nicely and re-mounted it the same way.

I also use some foam peel-and-stick weatherstripping around the scoop (layered as necessary for flush mounting) to get the shaker nice and level.

Hope this helps!

And for an aircleaner, just run any aircleaner that fits inside the scoop. In the 77 I run a customized version of the triangular aircleaner nobody likes, but without a filter as it is a summer-only (non dusty road) car. My 80 has a 10" chrome round aircleaner, as it sits outside many times in the rain. This way, water doesn't run into the carb when sitting.

The nice thing with this setup is you can pull more air in if you get either a carb and/or aircleaner spacer (done right it is a pseudo-Ram Air effect). The added height tucks the aircleaner into the open scoop and allows more forced cold air to enter the carb = more hp!

Like Father, Like Son

Dad's car: 77 T/A, Original Owner, W72, 48,000 miles, not quite stock.
My car: 80 T/A, WS6, 400 w/mild work
rumble412
Active Forum Member

Email
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2009, 09:06:54 AM »

I have a 1981 trans am and I replaced 301 Pontiac engine with a 400.  When it was all put together the shaker wouldn't fit under the hood.  We took a regular chrome air filter assembly and on the top part we welded six tabs around the cirlcle.  One on top, one on the bottom, and two on each side.  The shaker screws onto the top of the assembly just like it did on the stock assembly.  You can see the air filter and it looks great.  And the main thing is my shaker still shakes.
OrigOwner77
Oracle Forum Member

My cars' shakers are mounted to the hood!

Woodward286
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2009, 05:50:57 AM »

I have a 1981 trans am and I replaced 301 Pontiac engine with a 400.  When it was all put together the shaker wouldn't fit under the hood.  We took a regular chrome air filter assembly and on the top part we welded six tabs around the cirlcle.  One on top, one on the bottom, and two on each side.  The shaker screws onto the top of the assembly just like it did on the stock assembly.  You can see the air filter and it looks great.  And the main thing is my shaker still shakes.

As long as you used a 1971? and later 400, you could have used all stock parts to make the shaker work also. Just a thought.

Like Father, Like Son

Dad's car: 77 T/A, Original Owner, W72, 48,000 miles, not quite stock.
My car: 80 T/A, WS6, 400 w/mild work
BBATCAR
Active Forum Member

I'd rather be cruisin'

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2009, 03:09:29 PM »

Sorry it took so long , here is the pic but you cannot see the spacer between the bell shape and outer pan

Jet Black w/ SE decals
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1]
  Print