Author Topic: California Checking in  (Read 102569 times)

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
Re: California Checking in
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2014, 02:08:45 PM »
I've already emailed David at TTA. Thanks for the info.
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

Ben

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2014, 03:38:15 PM »
Did you have the door jams and under the hood and trunk resprayed?
Stripped down to bare metal on the trunk, doors, and jams and hood.  It was a color change too.  Good work can be found that doesn't have to cost a ridiculous amount.
Trans Am-less at the moment...

Home of the Mess

jjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Fort Worth, Texas
      • http://www.301garage.com
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »

Well...

I am not actually a mod here.

I actually branched off and did my own 301 site. Had I not done that, I might have made the
cut. <grin>

Actually, I am fairly well known among the staff here.

Yes, I know David and respect his work and business, but will not tell fluff stories.

The resto business is a very tuff one, with a gigantic number of misunderstandings on both
ends of the shop/customer relationship.

I serve as 301/301T consultant to David and am part time assistant web master for him.

I am not paid, or an employee - but would love to be. I've asked if I can when I retire...

If you have any questions either public or private, I'd be happy to share what I know.

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com/forum/

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #123 on: April 30, 2014, 06:58:46 AM »
We need people like you and David in northern CA jjr. It's a frickin' jungle here.
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »
Has anyone had their T/A repainted and decaled at a paint shop that they were particularly pleased with preferably in the East Bay area of San Francisco.

Private messages welcome.

I saw the same challenges as Ben on the paint and body front.  Everyone wanted at least 10k if they were willing to work on it at all.  Seems like every CA body shop just wants insurance work.

I did manage to find Guerrero's Classic Auto Body in San Jose.  He quoted me $6500 for the work.  This is the best I could find.  He has done several TAs.  My TA is currently in his shop.  I'll let you know how it goes...
Darryl

'77 black TA Hardtop LS3 / 4L70E swap
Build thread:
http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=61066

« Reply #124 on: April 30, 2014, 08:14:12 AM »

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #125 on: April 30, 2014, 08:20:57 AM »
In terms of good shops to take your TA to for mechanical issues in the Bay Area...Victory Machine in San Jose seems to be the most knowledgable about our cars.  Particularly in terms of engines.  Their prices aren't cheap but they do seem to actually estimate their work pretty well.  There were 5 TAs in Vic's shop when I was there...so I took that as a good sign:-)

They are very busy so their turnaround time isn't super fast...but once they start your car they take it thru to completion quickly. 
Darryl

Build thread:

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #126 on: April 30, 2014, 09:57:57 AM »
I would be very interested in the outcome stros. Are you having the door jams, underside of hood and rear deck lid underside painted? Are you expecting more of a nice driver paint look or a little closer to concourse quality? Did he tell you he needed about two months?

If you have the opportunity, could you ask him if he has ever painted a T/A Nocturne Blue? A very tricky color to duplicate and only offered in '79.

Thanks for any info man.
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #127 on: April 30, 2014, 01:06:33 PM »
I'll PM you George's contact info.  He's a nice guy.  Your TA looks in a lot better shape than mine...so I would think it wouldn't take him 2 months.  He did want 2 months initially for mine though. 

I would say I'm looking for something between driver and concourse quality...leaning closer to the latter.  He's supposed to fully repaint everything including around the engine bay.  My hood had to be totally replaced so he's got to paint that one from scratch.  The rust on it pitted it too deeply to be salvageable.

Darryl

Build thread:

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #128 on: May 01, 2014, 02:25:32 PM »
Spoke with David at TTA today for about half an hour. Great guy and knows just about all there is to know about our cars. Nobody in the Bay Area knows much about TA's that I have found let alone ever paining a car nocturne blue. I rather spend the dough and know I'm gonna get my car back painted with  #29 factory color and the decals applied properly. I'm done messin' around with painters that don't know jack about TA's. Plus David can tell me all I need to know about my car by looking at it. The security factor along with his knowledge and experience makes the transaction a positive one for me as well as a no-brainer.

All I gotta do now is sell the deal to my wife. That's the hardest part!

Thanks to everybody that provided suggestions but I gotta bite the bullet and do it right.
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

jjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • Fort Worth, Texas
      • http://www.301garage.com
« Reply #129 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »

Here's a few pictures from his shop...

Joe
1979 10th Aniv 400/4spd
1980 Black SE 301NA
1980 Indy Turbo Pace 301T
1981 Turbo 301T
1981 Black SE 301T
1981 Daytona Pace 301T
www.301garage.com/forum/

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #130 on: May 02, 2014, 02:37:52 PM »
Thanks for the pics Joe. You know what they say, "a picture is worth a thousand words". Not that I needed reaffirmation but I for one certainly enjoy scrutinizing the pics.

Best
Mark
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

Trans Mountain Am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #131 on: May 04, 2014, 08:59:44 PM »
Hello all.

This seems to be a little board for us California Boys to say "hi,"  So, Hi.

I'm up in Weaverville, about an hour west of Redding, or two east of Eureka, following highway 299.  That highway is a great one for zipping around on,  even in an SUV/  ;)

--TMA
Born and raised in California:
           But Texas blood boils in my veins!

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #132 on: May 05, 2014, 07:17:14 AM »
Welcome to TAC TMA. Tell us a little about your TA, or better still, post a pic.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 07:38:18 AM by DrRoberts99 »
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

Hayapower

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #133 on: May 05, 2014, 09:47:50 AM »
Hello all.

This seems to be a little board for us California Boys to say "hi,"  So, Hi.

I'm up in Weaverville, about an hour west of Redding, or two east of Eureka, following highway 299.  That highway is a great one for zipping around on,  even in an SUV/  ;)

--TMA

Welcome TMA..

I'm East on 299 in the Burney Area. Inter mountain roads are awesome for T/A's and knee drag'n as well.. :)
03 Hayabusa
1969 Trans AM RAM AIR III 4spd.
1977 Trans AM Y82 SE

Trans Mountain Am

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »
Welcome to TAC TMA. Tell us a little about your TA, or better still, post a pic.

Well, at the moment, my TA is in the form of greebacks, slowly scooting into my wallet. :lol:  October looks like the time to buy.

Hayapower; isn't 299 great?  might have to get together for lunch or something, sometime in the futute.

--TMA
Born and raised in California:
           But Texas blood boils in my veins!

« Reply #134 on: May 05, 2014, 10:14:14 AM »

dieselkeane

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2014, 11:38:32 AM »
Im in Walnut Creek, Ca. Anyone in the east bay?

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #136 on: September 20, 2014, 01:11:18 PM »

I'm in Alamo! Small world huh?
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

dieselkeane

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #137 on: September 23, 2014, 12:02:55 PM »

I'm in Alamo! Small world huh?

Did you find a place in the area to paint your car?

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #138 on: September 25, 2014, 01:57:03 PM »
"Did you find a place in the area to paint your car?"

First off, it seemingly took forever to register my T/A in CA because the selling party had no title since the state he lived in did not title '79's. CA DMV is extremely difficult to work with. I gotta tell you, there were days I was really stressed because I could not get the document I needed. I've got a CA title now though.

I was intending to truck my car to Texas Trans Am until just yesterday when I was cleaning up my Trans Am file. I tripped across a website that I had bookmarked called "ET Muscle Cars". They are located near Sacramento. I spoke with the owner yesterday and he impressed me very much. If you have the interest, checkout the website. Ernie, the owner, is my kind of guy. He is gonna ballpark me an estimate working from a batch of pics I sent him plus other info I told him about my car. I know he will come in higher but it is comforting to know that I can drive out and check on my car as it goes through the respray process.

Appreciate your interest.

« Last Edit: September 25, 2014, 02:14:58 PM by DrRoberts99 »
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

BlueTTA

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #139 on: September 25, 2014, 03:59:42 PM »
Take plenty of pics!  And let us know how everything comes out.

Did he say what kind of time frame it would take to do what you want?
You can get much farther with a kind word and a gun than you can with a kind word alone. - Al Capone

Chris
1979 Solar Gold T-top 403

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #140 on: September 26, 2014, 01:28:05 PM »
Take plenty of pics!  And let us know how everything comes out.

Did he say what kind of time frame it would take to do what you want?

We have just started the process. I will let you know what happens. At this juncture, I'm leaning towards him. We clicked on the phone. Just gonna have to shell out more dough with them than I want to.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2014, 01:38:26 PM by DrRoberts99 »
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

dieselkeane

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #141 on: October 07, 2014, 02:50:21 PM »
Thanks for the lead. I already finished the bodywork and I am looking for someone to spray the car. I called a bunch of body shops and vocational schools about renting a booth to paint it myself, but no luck. The search continues!

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #142 on: November 02, 2014, 09:21:20 AM »
Thanks for the lead. I already finished the bodywork and I am looking for someone to spray the car. I called a bunch of body shops and vocational schools about renting a booth to paint it myself, but no luck. The search continues!

The last time I picked up my car from my mechanic he informed me that the Back Pressure Transducer was shot. Try to find one of those must have smog parts if you have a 400. I decided while my car was in the shop, I might has well have the Flapper Shaker Hood Scoop Conversion Kit installed. Better to do it now as opposed to after paint.

My mechanic recommended Steve Silva Body Shop & Restorations in Fremont (510-790-1600) He is the first guy I have spoken with that discussed charging for the job in stages since it is impossible for a painter to know all of your T/A's dirty secrets before stripping the car down to the metal. Doubtful if he will rent you a booth but you never knows tills you ask.

We pay a huge price penalty for living here because the cost of living is so fricking high!
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

DrRoberts99

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #143 on: November 02, 2014, 10:16:18 AM »

Do you intend to apply your own decals?
'79 T/A L78 WS6 W72 CC1

dieselkeane

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #144 on: December 20, 2014, 09:24:11 PM »

Do you intend to apply your own decals?

I think I might give it the old college try

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #145 on: December 20, 2014, 09:48:20 PM »
Not sure how close all of you are but for my decals I had YAK Graphics in downtown San Jose apply mine.  Cost $100, which I believe is reasonable.

The owner Jason is a super nice guy and manages a super clean shop.  He had a $200k boat that he was working on before my TA.  He's done a bunch of TAs and has a passion for TAs too as his mom owned a 78TA when he was a little kid.

Darryl

Build thread:

dieselkeane

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #146 on: January 12, 2015, 01:41:51 PM »
Stros,

Where did you get your paint job? The car looks nice!

stros

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #147 on: January 12, 2015, 07:47:35 PM »
Stros,

Where did you get your paint job? The car looks nice!

Long long story on that one.  The shop is Classic (formerly Guerrero's) Auto Body in San Jose on San Carlos St. very close to downtown.
I was promised to have my car back in 2 months, 12 months later it's still not done yet.  The work done so far has been done well, and they honor their estimates, but they constantly put you behind insurance work (I've heard that many other shops do this as well).  I've also had a few parts disappear while the car has been there.  If you do consider them, I would make sure to get all due dates in writing - and if you do have to take the car off the lot after leaving it there - make sure to get a revised due date.  I didn't do that - and I regret that. 

Supposedly I'm going to get the car back home this week - we shall see.  I think it has about 4 hours of labor left in it at this point. 

Darryl

Build thread:

hiyabradHO

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2015, 02:08:16 AM »
Hi all from Los Angeles!

Hayapower

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #149 on: February 02, 2015, 07:11:02 PM »
Welcome hiyabradHO..
03 Hayabusa
1969 Trans AM RAM AIR III 4spd.
1977 Trans AM Y82 SE

RiffRaff

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #150 on: February 08, 2015, 01:49:15 AM »
Hey everyone. New from OC. Happy new years.

ETM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #151 on: May 09, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
Hello

Checking in from Folsom Ca. I`ve had my Trans Am just two weeks. Having a lot of fun working on it and fixing a few things. Car has been in my family since about `82.

Jeff Has A Brewster

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #152 on: December 16, 2017, 10:54:54 AM »
Hi All:

Placerville checking in here.

Are any Californian's still around?

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #153 on: December 16, 2017, 07:37:05 PM »
Isnt Placerville in the high desert west side of LA ? My folks spent a couple of winters in riverside co. and I'm sure we went thru your town on one of our trips, maybe on the way to a ghost town.
Finished!
77 T/A - I will Call this one DONE!
79 TATA 4sp-Next Project?
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #154 on: December 16, 2017, 09:23:24 PM »
Isnt Placerville in the high desert west side of LA ? My folks spent a couple of winters in riverside co. and I'm sure we went thru your town on one of our trips, maybe on the way to a ghost town.

I'm thinking you are thinking Palmdale.

Placerville is up in northern Ca and is quite beautiful.

Palmdale is a high dessert hell hole

Jeff Has A Brewster

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #155 on: December 17, 2017, 12:27:37 PM »

I'm thinking you are thinking Palmdale.

Placerville is up in northern Ca and is quite beautiful.

Palmdale is a high dessert hell hole

LOL, I don't think I've ever been to Palmdale and now I don't have any desire to visit.

Thank you Brashanic, Placerville is a small, very friendly town in Northern California. The Gold that started the California gold rush was discovered about 15 minutes from my house. And surprisingly for a small town we have a very active car community.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #156 on: December 17, 2017, 04:12:10 PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks, I knew I heard the name somewhere. The town I am thinking is where the Roy Rogers museum was located.  I had an aunt and uncle that lived in the bay area (walnut creek), I have been to Cali a few times and always enjoyed it.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #157 on: December 17, 2017, 04:27:32 PM »
I stand corrected. Thanks, I knew I heard the name somewhere. The town I am thinking is where the Roy Rogers museum was located.  I had an aunt and uncle that lived in the bay area (walnut creek), I have been to Cali a few times and always enjoyed it.

That's in Victorville right off the 15frw on the way to vegas.

It's all the same hell hole.

I wasn't correcting you I hate doing that.

I just didn't want anyone to confuse placerville with hell.

roadking77

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #158 on: December 18, 2017, 07:46:28 AM »
Bingo, I knew I would recognize the name. That's funny, that's the same thing my wife said. LOL. It seems to me it was in the middle of nowhere. Our kids were small at the time and we took them out there to a ghost town.  Another fun experience was our stop in Bakersfield. We started early in the day in San Diego, drove to LA, went to a taping of the price is right, which pretty much lasted all day, then left and headed north to the bay area. I literally fell asleep behind the wheel, which I never understood how people could do that. We pulled over at the first place we came to, which was Bakersfield. It was midnight, we had no idea where we were. It was a dumpy truckstop, dirty sparce rooms, wool army blankets, with someone knocking on the door in the wee hours. (hookers I guess). When daylight arrived we saw we were in the middle of nothing with tumbleweeds blowing around. Glad we stopped though, it seemed like forever before we saw another place once we were back on the road.
Finished!
79 TATA - Lost to Fire!
86 Grand Prix - Sold
85 T/A - Sold
85 Fiero - Sold
82 Firebird - Sold
'38-CZ 250
'39-BSA Gold Star
'49-Triumph 350
'52-Ariel Red Hunter
'66-BSA Lightning
'01-HD RoadKing

Brashanic_IM

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
Bingo, I knew I would recognize the name. That's funny, that's the same thing my wife said. LOL. It seems to me it was in the middle of nowhere. Our kids were small at the time and we took them out there to a ghost town.  Another fun experience was our stop in Bakersfield. We started early in the day in San Diego, drove to LA, went to a taping of the price is right, which pretty much lasted all day, then left and headed north to the bay area. I literally fell asleep behind the wheel, which I never understood how people could do that. We pulled over at the first place we came to, which was Bakersfield. It was midnight, we had no idea where we were. It was a dumpy truckstop, dirty sparce rooms, wool army blankets, with someone knocking on the door in the wee hours. (hookers I guess). When daylight arrived we saw we were in the middle of nothing with tumbleweeds blowing around. Glad we stopped though, it seemed like forever before we saw another place once we were back on the road.

The Roy Rodgers museum is gone. 
Victorville has grown quit a bit in the last 10 years. 

The ghost town is Cajalco ghost town and is still there.

We go out there in our jeeps quite a bit.

« Reply #159 on: December 18, 2017, 08:53:33 AM »
You can help support TAC!