Author Topic: Pontiac 400-455 Questions and answers. Subthread  (Read 151155 times)

Maryland Bandit

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
Pontiac 400-455 Questions and answers. Subthread
« on: March 05, 2007, 10:01:59 AM »
Thought a sub thread would be good for motor specific questions. We'll see how it works out. Sticky for now. Have fun with it guys.
TOM

79T/Aman

• Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.pro-touringf-body.com
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2007, 02:34:01 PM »
I'll start the first post, this is a question I have seen sssoooo... many times, Pontiac big block VS small block, well there are no differences, the basic modern Pontiac V8 came to market in 1955 and remain the virtually the same until 1967 when it was more standerdized but the block has not changed in dimention and neether did the heads or intake.
www.pro-touringf-body.com  your source for making your Trans am do what it does best!......SHOW OFF!

Ben

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2007, 05:51:24 PM »
Quote from: "79T/Aman"
remain the virtually the same until 1967 when it was more standerdized but the block has not changed in dimention and neether did the heads or intake.

Technically this is true externally, but there are quite a few differences throughout the years.  In 1972 they changed the exhaust crossover port on the heads and intake, so earlier intakes on later heads will cause exhaust leaks.  Using gaskets and filler material can correct this problem.

The heads also have differences in them throughout the years, but externally they were mostly all the same and will bolt up from 1965-1979 (bolt pattern of intakes was different in 1964).
Trans Am-less at the moment...

Home of the Mess

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2007, 06:36:40 PM »
Be aware that pre-68 heads were significantly different for 2 barrel engines and 4 barrel engines.  Yeah, they both bolt up to the block, but intake manifolds won't interchange on the heads.  I found that out about a year ago when somebody was going to use low compression heads from a 67 (or thereabouts) vintage engine with a 4 barrel intake.  It didn't match up at all. :oops:

78thumper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »
After reading some of the sagas of engine builds gone bad, how about these.

The only similarity between a Pontiac V8 and a Chevy V8 is they both have 8 cylinders, period. :roll:

Find a machinist/engine builder who either knows Pontiac engines or is willing to learn. They do exist.  8)

If you really want to use a Chevy builder :?, build a Chevy engine or invest in a Pontiac shop manual and give it to him for reference.

As a matter of fact, insist that he uses it and check his work before accepting delivery.

After all, it's your money, you're the customer, and at one point in time (a long, long time ago), the customer was always right.  :shock:  :D
Later
Steve R.

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2007, 07:59:59 PM »

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2007, 09:43:14 PM »
I'm no machinist, so I've had my machining work done by the local NAPA guy who knows BOP engines.  I've ALWAYS done my own assembly work.  I just read the manuals (factory sevice and Chilton's plus whichever other ones applied) and then DID it.  I've never had an assembly problem.  Is it that hard?  I'm not particularly a wizard... :?  :?

Ben

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2007, 10:39:20 PM »
Quote from: "Rick"
It didn't match up at all.

Ports didn't match up or the intake didn't physically fit?  If it didn't physically fit, it's possible there was milling done somewhere on one piece that didn't match the others as a set.  I am not aware of any big differences between 1965-1968 intakes and later ones.  This is why you can run a tri-power on a 455 block.  If it was a 1964 or earlier, those don't fit.

Home of the Mess

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2007, 10:46:43 PM »
From what was reported to me, the intake manifold would bolt up but the intake ports didn't match.  What I don't know is what vintage the intake was.  The poster had asked if they would "fit" and from the info I had they would.  Then a few days later he told me they didn't.  No pictures to demonstrate the mismatch, but I felt bad that he'd popped for them and they wouldn't work for him.  I suppose it's possible they could have been earlier than he thought, though. :?

Ben

• Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2007, 10:52:57 PM »
Quote from: "Rick"
I suppose it's possible they could have been earlier than he thought, though.

Date codes are your friend!  My friend has a TON of stuff out at his place, the first thing we do is go for the date code.  That proves beyond a shadow of a doubt what it is.  No more "well maybe it fits?" questions.

Are we sure it was a Pontiac intake...?  Believe it or not that has been a problem...

1965-1979 intakes all interchange with each other, except for the exhaust port mismatch that needs to be addressed.  Linkage. ;-)

Home of the Mess

yellowbird

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2007, 01:51:33 PM »
Quote from: "78thumper"
After reading some of the sagas of engine builds gone bad, how about these.

The only similarity between a Pontiac V8 and a Chevy V8 is they both have 8 cylinders, period. :roll:

Find a machinist/engine builder who either knows Pontiac engines or is willing to learn. They do exist.  8)

If you really want to use a Chevy builder :?, build a Chevy engine or invest in a Pontiac shop manual and give it to him for reference.

As a matter of fact, insist that he uses it and check his work before accepting delivery.

After all, it's your money, you're the customer, and at one point in time (a long, long time ago), the customer was always right.  :shock:  :D

I agree, find an engine builder who know Pontiac. The fellow who built my motor was born in Pontiac Michigan, worked for Pontiac as a machinist and has been a machinist for 45 years. He did a fantastic job. I have seen too many Pontiac Olds motors built by Chevy guys and they were never right.
1979 Firebird Formula
1992 Firebird convertible
1958 Willys Jeep CJ3B
2005 Dodge Cummins

Rivhard

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2007, 06:37:59 PM »
I had "Pontiac Greg" Merrick out of Colorado build my engine.  He has been building Pontiacs for 20+ years.  He stressed NEVER have a Chevy guy work on my engine!! :D
1978 Y88 TA 462 Keisler 5 spd

sweet73

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2007, 09:47:34 PM »
One of my best friends is a chevy guy and he's always hinting to build me a pontiac motor but i've read too many horor stories on here about this subject so i'm not letting him touch my pontiac! I only want to install it once! I don't know enough about engines to oversee his work so i think paying a little for peice of mind is ok.
Jason

78thumper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2007, 08:58:41 AM »
Quote from: "sweet73"
One of my best friends is a chevy guy and he's always hinting to build me a pontiac motor but i've read too many horor stories on here about this subject so i'm not letting him touch my pontiac! I only want to install it once! I don't know enough about engines to oversee his work so i think paying a little for peice of mind is ok.

Here's your chance to show him the light.

First off - Learn about your engine

Buy Jim Hand's book - How to Build Max-Performance Pontiac V-8s.

Get a Pontiac Service Manual - Hitman offers them on CD at his website www.78ta.com

Read both of them

Read anything else you can get your hands on about building Pontiac motors - HO Racing stuff, Herb Adams, search the internet, even Chiltons

Then try it. Use your manuals as your guide. When someone starts talking about how they would do this or that with a Chevy motor, just let them ramble on and tune them out :wink:

Believe it or not, most of us were not born knowing how to tear down and rebuild a Pontiac motor. :lol:

We had to learn by doing and reading.
Later
Steve R.

72Formula

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2007, 08:05:25 PM »
Just gotta chime in here about machinists and Pontiac engines.  There's nothing magic about a Pontiac V8.  It's an internal combustion engine, the processes required to remachine it are the same as for any engine.  I would say that it doesn't require a machinist who is intimately familiar with Pontiac engines, it requires a machinist who is conscientious and careful and cares about the work he puts out.  It's okay if he does a lot of Chevy engines as long as he realizes that he needs to be checking specs and paying attention during the machining and especially the assembly process.

I worked for about a year at a high performance machine shop.  The guy had all the best machines and tools and he was a real perfectionist.  Most of the engines he built were Chevies because that's what most people are running, but before he built any engine he hadn't done before or in a long time he checked all the required specs and manuals.  During the time I worked there we built an LT1 for a roadrace '96 Camaro, a basic 350 and a 327 also (not sure what they were going into), a 454 for a custom '79 Camaro, a Chrysler 340 with all kinds of custom mods to the oiling system, an Olds 455, a Honda 1.6L for a turbocharged Civic, my 428, a friend's 455, and a 400 for a guy in my car club.  No problems with any of these engines because we took the time to make sure the work was done right and didn't ASSUME anything.

The big difference between a Pontiac V8 and a Chevy as far as assembly goes is the orientation of the connecting rods and pistons.  When it comes to machining, if your machinist isn't measuring the pistons first then finish honing the bores to achieve the correct clearance he isn't doing it right.  If he isn't checking to make sure the main bores are straight and within spec before proceeding, he's not being careful enough.  We routinely installed the bearings in the mains and rods then measured the actual diameters before sending the cranks out to be ground so we could tell the crank grinder exactly what diameter to grind the journals.  Then we double checked the clearances when we got the crank back to make sure it was done right.  We checked piston to deck height on everything, we checked crank endplay and rod side clearances against published specs, in anything other than the basic rebuilds we file fit the rings to each bore.  When we did a set of heads every seat got cut to the same depth and every valve got the same amount ground off it.  The valve guides were all finished to the same sizes.  The equipment he had was so accurate that every seat mated perfectly with every valve.  He had a guarantee that if you could bring in a set of heads that he couldn't improve the valve seal on he'd pay you $100 cash.  He never paid anyone.  This is the kind of attention to detail that allows a machinist to build any engine.  Of course you paid for that extra level of detail, but the people that brought their engines to that shop didn't mind because they knew the extra cost was worth it.

Too bad the owner had a drug problem and lost the business, I had a lot of fun working there.

78thumper

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »
Well 72 Formula

Sounds like you worked for the kind of engine builder I referred to in my second line in my initial post - find a machinist who knows Pontiacs or is willing to learn.

My intent was not to bad mouth Chevy builders, just to make sure folks realize that there are differences between Chevys and Pontiacs. Pontiacs are definately not assembled like a Chevy. You even stated that.

People need to make sure that their machinist will build them a reliable motor from the get go. There have been to many horror stories of motors being incorrectly assembled.
Later
Steve R.

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2007, 08:35:02 PM »

critter

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
      • http://www.arkansaspontiacs.org
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2007, 07:59:09 PM »
Three rules for engine building.

1 - Cleanliness is next to Godliness.

2 - Measure everything twice with properly calibrated tools.

3 - If it seems wrong, it probably is and you should make sure.
Been there, done that, t-shirt is now a shop rag.

Kyledyr

• Active Forum Member
  • see the wheels? those are the markings
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2007, 06:25:27 PM »
we've got a poncho 400 at school out of a 4 speed 77 or 78 trans am.  the casting code is XA.  it has the chrome valve covers that came on a W72, but i think XA is for the regular 400. which is it?
Kyle H.
1981 Trans Am 305 WS6 4-Speed
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2412632
"It's such a thrill when your radials squeal"

John Wallace

• Active Forum Member
      • Wallace Racing
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2007, 10:18:33 AM »
Hopefully a 1977 XA.  :D

1978 XA is a 301.

But, then again the XA in 77 (and most other years) was for an automatic.

Try my engine search page:
Engine Search
Pontiac Power RULES !!!
Wallace Racing

Kyledyr

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2007, 04:35:25 PM »
hey i just linked someone to your page yesterday!  pretty nifty setup you've got there. ill ask my teacher about the year.
Kyle H.

Bandit 77

• Sandbox Members
  • Oracle Forum Member
  • show em your bird
« Reply #19 on: May 03, 2007, 08:57:57 PM »
just chiming in my 2 cents but to let every one know pontiac made there last engine in 1978 saving 10,000 for the 10th aversy cars.

i know lots of misc fact about 70-81 T/As
74 Formula  462 auto (455 .030 over)
77 Trans Am 455 6 speed project
78 Trans Am 400 4spd (parted and sold)
79 Formula 400 auto (Sold)
79 Trans Am 403 auto Y84 SE
09 G8 GT 6.0 auto
Z.E.D.U. #800 motor pool

Kyledyr

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #20 on: May 03, 2007, 09:14:45 PM »
do you mean their last 400s?  because there was the 301's as well, which were still pontiacs.
Kyle H.

HigPup

• Active Forum Member
      • http://www.higpup.com
« Reply #21 on: May 13, 2007, 05:52:46 PM »
I have a 73 455, that starts no problems just turn the key, it runs rough, but haven't got carb dialed in yet.  It will idle  until it gets warm about 5-8 minutes, then starts to run rough and shuts off. The problem is after it gets warm it won't start unless I keep the gas pedal to the floor then pump the gas to keep it running, but then it will quit.    Also my water temp is at around 220 is that high or ok?  Any suggestions would be very helpful.

I have an MSD unilite distributor, Edlebrock Carb  750 cfm.
Sean Higgins

www.higpup.com

73 TA Project

79solargoldta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2007, 12:21:52 AM »
I'm trying to drop my 77' block pontiac 400 into my 79' TA that was originally an olds 403 and I'm having a BIG problem. The motor will not line up with the mounts that are on the frame, has anyone else run into this problem and what is a good solution? I've replaced the frame mounts with new ones from year one and I pulled the 400 mounts off of a wrecked TA with a 400 so everything should work....but isn't. This is VERY frustrating and any advise would help, thank you.
Nobody... Nobody makes Sheriff Buford T. Justice look like a possum's pecker!

MR OLDS

• Forum Member
      • http://fcrparts.com
« Reply #23 on: August 30, 2007, 10:20:52 PM »
It seems like we are getting into Pontiac engines now. Just finished a pump gas 464 with Edelbrock performer heads ported by us torqerII intake and Hyd roller cam. 578 HP and 607 TQ with a very flat power curve. Power peak was at 5500.
 Terry @ FCR Performance

BanditDave

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #24 on: August 30, 2007, 10:44:09 PM »
Quote from: "79solargoldta"
I'm trying to drop my 77' block pontiac 400 into my 79' TA that was originally an olds 403 and I'm having a BIG problem. The motor will not line up with the mounts that are on the frame, has anyone else run into this problem and what is a good solution? I've replaced the frame mounts with new ones from year one and I pulled the 400 mounts off of a wrecked TA with a 400 so everything should work....but isn't. This is VERY frustrating and any advise would help, thank you.

Hey There,

Which engine mount brackets did you use? I believe you can leave the frame pads in the same spot as the 403s if you get the proper adapter bracket that Ame's and Perf Year's type places sell regularly in their catalogs. I can take a look at my 400 car outside this weekend for you as I used to have a 403 power TA as well so I am pretty sure we can sort this all out for you.

BTW, the gentleman who posted above me, Terry from FCR, is also a wealth of knowledge. Never hurts to give him a call.

Dave
Back in the TA saddle again...its good to be home.

79solargoldta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #25 on: August 31, 2007, 10:22:58 PM »
Well I solved the problem. I lined up everything with the frame mounts attached to the block mounts, lowered the engine down onto the frame and aligned the trans mount up, made sure the engine was level and I marked where the holes were on the frame with nail polish. I raised the block up, took off the frame mounts, made sure the markings matched up and then drilled new holes in the frame! Every thing worked out great from there on out, I'll post pics in the next few days on the progress under the restorations section under "my 79 trans am restoration".

skirkpat

• Forum Member
« Reply #26 on: September 13, 2007, 04:55:56 PM »
Question? I am new to T/A's , I have had more cars than most peoples families will have in a lifetime (numbering in the hundreds), but have somehow avoided building a BOP engine,
1)Which are better, 455 Olds/455 Pontiac?
2)which are easier to find/ build for performance?
3)I have a 403 Olds in there, is this worth building?
4) will my shaker line up with an Olds 455 (are the blocks the same?)
5)Sorry for this, but should I stick my 525 HP 402 BB Chevy with edelbrock heads that I have spent $5,000.00 on and is looking lonely on the floor?
I have a nice project that runs already, but is kinda weak, just thinking about a little speed down the road.
Thanks for reading
Sean

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #27 on: September 13, 2007, 08:19:24 PM »
Well...my $0.02...

1.  Your choice -- Pontiac guys swear by Pontiacs, Olds guys by Olds...but I think the Pontiac 455 is a little easier to fit in the F-body bay.  The Olds 455 will fit in there (several guys here have done it) but it appears to be a little more work.

2.  Your choice, again, along with whatever you can find in the wrecking yards at this late date.

3.  It depends on what you want the engine to do?  Cruise reliably on the street for forever?  The 403 will do that, and put out quite a bit of power with the right tweaks.  Just don't figure on twisting its tail into the higher RPMS -- the block really wasn't meant for that.  But there's nothing wrong with the 403 for street use.

4.  No.  You'll probably have to fab your own or go for a WFO setup.  The proper location of the shaker is pretty sensitive to all sorts of things -- engine height, manifold used, carb used -- and if you get very far at all from the Pontiac V8 dimensions all of the sudden it doesn't work right, if at all.

5.  Again, depends on what you want from your car and how much work you want to put into it.  BB Chevys WILL fit into the F-body, but again it's a not insignificant amount of work.  But if you've spent $5,000 on that engine, maybe it's not so much work that you won't want to do it.

Just my $0.02...somebody else will be along shortly to take potshots at us both, I'm sure... :P  :P  :wink:

79solargoldta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #28 on: November 19, 2007, 04:04:59 PM »
I need help, I had my motor running and now when I go to start the engine it just keeps turning and it sounds like it is about to start and I give it some gas then it just putters out. I smell gas comming from the engine, is it too rich? I did adjust the throttle screws, but it was because I was having the same problem. Any suggestions would help. BTW it's a 400

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #29 on: November 20, 2007, 05:23:21 AM »
Sounds like its flooded....don't pump the accelerator, just hold the throttle fully open while you crank...this lets the most air get into the engine to clear the fuel flooding.
If it doesn't start after some cranking with the throttle fully open, then its time to check ignition timing and operation etc.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia
1969 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe (project)

Former Firebirds -
1971 Pontiac Firebird 455
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 convertible
1967 Pontiac Firebird 400 coupe

SteeleBird

• Forum Member
Re: Pontiac 400-455 Questions and answers. Subthread
« Reply #30 on: December 21, 2007, 10:39:59 AM »
hello, I'm new to the site, and new to pontiacs. I have a 74' 400 I have just had milled, and installed a rebuild kit. I got the pistons,rods,crank,and heads on it. I'm stuck on the timing chain cover/waterpump cover. Its been nearly a year since I tore it down, and now I cant remember how it all goes back together. Are there any old threads, or a place i can look on-line that would have a diagram or manual to go by to get this thing back together. I have a Haynes shop manual, but it does not go into enough detail for me. I need an exploded view or something to look at for refrence.  thanks in advance for any and all help.

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2007, 02:53:35 PM »
Welcome to TAC!  We're all about projects here, and we love pictures, so post some up of what you've got. :lol: :lol:

With regard to your specific question, there's nothing that beats the factory service manual for things unique to the engine.  Haynes and Chilton's are great for general stuff, but to get the best pics and diagrams you need the Pontiac service manual.  Hitman sells them over on his site in CDROM form, and personally I think the CD version works better than the old printed versions (I have both).  You can check them out at:

http://www.78ta.com/sale/cdsale.htm

79solargoldta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #32 on: December 24, 2007, 11:24:52 AM »
Hey guys, I need some carburetor help on my 400. It's a 77' block with a Q-jet off of my old 403. My question is: My secondary's aren't opening up with acceleration and even on WOT. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas to why this might be happening? All vaccum lines are hooked up, but I did rebuild the carb myself and it's the first one for me. Also I'm getting this thin carbon film mixed with water or spent fuel out of my exhaust pypes that ends up in a puddle when I'm fooling around with the carb in the garage, any idea of what this is? Thanx for the help!

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #33 on: December 25, 2007, 05:51:42 AM »
hello, I'm new to the site, and new to pontiacs. I have a 74' 400 I have just had milled, and installed a rebuild kit. I got the pistons,rods,crank,and heads on it. I'm stuck on the timing chain cover/waterpump cover. Its been nearly a year since I tore it down, and now I cant remember how it all goes back together. Are there any old threads, or a place i can look on-line that would have a diagram or manual to go by to get this thing back together. I have a Haynes shop manual, but it does not go into enough detail for me. I need an exploded view or something to look at for refrence.  thanks in advance for any and all help.

Just did this the other day.....pretty straight forward. Don't tighten the four large bolts in the front till you start the small ones in the front of the sump. Don't forget to install the two spacer rings that fit into the block on the two lower front bolt holes..they locate the timing cover correctly. Install a new soft rubber ring seal where the cover meets the manifold...I also used a slight wipe of sealant on it for luck. I used loctite sealant (the type that always remains flexible) on all the gaskets.
I used new transfer tubes (you can get stainless ones now), use a bit of anti sieze on them where they go through the alloy case. I also used a new stainless divider plate and clearanced it down close to the water pump fins...to make the pump more efficient.
Theres two large bolts that go through the water pump and the timing cover int othe block...coat them with anti sieze before fitting or they'll corrode to the cover. install two smaller bolts at the upper LH side before installing hte bolts with the alternator bracket (one big and one small).
Don't forget to install the long bolt and special washer that ties the timing cover to the manifold and seals the rubber ring at the back of the cover.
Any other ?, ask away.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

LeighP

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #34 on: December 25, 2007, 05:55:52 AM »
Hey guys, I need some carburetor help on my 400. It's a 77' block with a Q-jet off of my old 403. My question is: My secondary's aren't opening up with acceleration and even on WOT. I was wondering if you guys had any ideas to why this might be happening? All vaccum lines are hooked up, but I did rebuild the carb myself and it's the first one for me. Also I'm getting this thin carbon film mixed with water or spent fuel out of my exhaust pypes that ends up in a puddle when I'm fooling around with the carb in the garage, any idea of what this is? Thanx for the help!

I'm not really the best to ask on fooling around with a Qjet....but the watery grey stuff thats blows out your exhaust is just condensation....mine does the same when its warming up, sprays drops of carbon and water on the floor of the garage.....goes away when the exhaust warms up.
This is what causes exhausts of cars to rust out...especially those used for short runs where the exhaust never really heats up properly and evapourates the condensation.
Regards,
Leigh

Sydney, Australia

Former Firebirds -
1977 Pontiac Trans Am
1976 Pontiac Trans Am

79solargoldta

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #35 on: January 08, 2008, 02:03:49 AM »
How hard is it to change out the water pump? Do I have to drain all the coolant and oil?

tomriffs

• Forum Member
« Reply #36 on: January 08, 2008, 05:34:10 PM »
i have a numbers maching 69z.i race a74 vega smsll block ,i had a68 gto, in high school a 70 427 camaro right out of high school i consider myself a chevy guy i bought a 78 y88 nunbers matching last year done a resto stickers and all and found differences in the motor basicly the same but there is a lot of different things do your homework mine runs and sounds great and the torque wow! its a stock w72 to the bone i love it

blackturbo

• Active Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: February 28, 2008, 08:33:29 PM »
hope this is the right forum to post this, but me and a buddy were in an argument tonight that my 78 ta with the pontiac 400 came with a cat converter or not... he says I have one,, and actually the car is sitting under a cover outside in a mudpit with all the rain weve had... so I ask the question... did the 78 ta have cats from the factory? I told him no because I noticed it doesnt have any other emissions on it like a smog pump..

mark

Rick

• Jedi Council
  • Oracle Forum Member
« Reply #38 on: February 28, 2008, 09:23:55 PM »
hope this is the right forum to post this, but me and a buddy were in an argument tonight that my 78 ta with the pontiac 400 came with a cat converter or not... he says I have one,, and actually the car is sitting under a cover outside in a mudpit with all the rain weve had... so I ask the question... did the 78 ta have cats from the factory? I told him no because I noticed it doesnt have any other emissions on it like a smog pump..

Every GM car made in 1978 for domestic use was required to be EPA certified for emissions compliance.  They ALL had single exhausts with a single catalytic converter.  Other smog equipment (such as AIR pumps) was added to bring it into compliance with specific area requirements, like high-altitude and California smog limits.  But the catalytic converters and EGR valves and stuff like the EFE valves were used across the board.

rkellerjr

• Oracle Forum Member
  • When you turn your car on does it return the favor
      • Our Business
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
Welcome to TAC Steelebird, did you get the front end of that motor back on?  Here's a thread that might help...

http://transamcountry.com/community/index.php?topic=2381.0

This is a rebuild of my '77 400 but the engines should be pretty much the same.  There should be pics that can help you with the front end of that motor.

« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2008, 09:30:36 PM »
You can help support TAC!