transamcountry.com
October 25, 2014, 04:11:12 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: sidepipes  (Read 5581 times)
79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« on: November 26, 2007, 09:11:43 AM »

check out this topic just posted:

http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=10025

its about the fourth pic down, the red t/a with sidepipes.

thats what i'd like to do to mine.

i am buying headers off of ebay today that i found for only $10 fdor an olds 455.

it has some rust but can be cleaned up nicely.

where could i get these pipes from? do they hooke up to the headers?

does it go:
headers then mufflers, then sidepipes?

what kind of mufflers would fit in a spot right over there?

thanks.

Josh

79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2007, 06:40:05 PM »

anybody?

Josh

KornBread
Active Forum Member

I like my chicken fried..

« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2007, 08:07:37 PM »

I looked into something similar for my 77. A place up here (Ohio)called Jegs carries them I believe they are made by Patriot. Anyways, the sidepipe has the muffler built into them already so you get those with the sidepipe. I don't remember correctly but i think they also sell a connecting pipe to go from the header to the sidepipe but don't quote me on that. If nothing else you could just have a custom bent piece made for it. But the reason I decided against getting them was because with the heavy engine I have the car sits low to the ground anyways so clearance might be an issue. Measure twice order once. Cool  Hope I could help, put pictures up with how it turns out! I might still consider doing it.

'81 Nascar Pace Car
'79 project car
'77 firebird powered by a 455 olds
Milly
Jedi Council
Oracle Forum Member

The second most interesting man in the world.

jmkmilhauser1@msn.com john.milhauser@yahoo.com
john.milhauser
Email
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2007, 10:43:05 PM »

There have been a few guys here that have run sidepipes over the years. I like the look, IF you are going for that '70's/'80's street machine look. On a stock restoration, they are out of place. Like was already said, most have the muffler (if you can call it that) built into the pipe.

John
1981 Trans Am
1996 Firebird
2004 Grand Prix GT2
2004 GTO
79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2007, 11:31:31 PM »

yep! i am in fact, going for the street machine look.

this is my first car, so i'm in it more for fun than what it would be worth with originality points.

when i bought my car, the ONLY thing not original on it was just the paint job and the rims.

i already swapped transmissions, and now i'm doing a bigger engine, and now i want a badass exhaust to go with it Smile

but i'm not doing that until i have the engine in the car and i already know it runs..

but i'll be dropping my engine in almost immediatly after christmas when i get some more parts for it Smile

EDIT:  i just found these:

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_752602_-1_11537

look at the first three, thats what i'd like to get, my only question is, at the beginning of the pipe it has four small pipes...what are all of them connected to if the headers come down into one pipe??

Josh

RENOVATIONS
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2007, 11:47:37 PM »

From the description:
" Chrome Lake Pipe 4s connect to headers or a stock exhaust system with one functional inlet tube and three dress-up tubes."

Jeff

Current Projects:
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2007, 12:02:59 AM »

ohhhh i didnt see that Confused

i tend to scroll through it too fast sometimes.

it says in the description it "absorbs sound, not horsepower"

anybody have experience with these? because personally, i don't want it to absorb sound, i would like a nice muscle sound..think these would do it?

ok, i like these two sounds...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=qq4JiQzP_Dk

and..

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jvmB4w0kmYg

i'd like a sound like that with the look of sidepipes

Josh

79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2007, 12:24:23 AM »

this one is really nice too! and it even has sidepipes

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XrVIt62BQoo&feature=related

Josh

RENOVATIONS
Oracle Forum Member

« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2007, 12:32:00 AM »

I believe that is/was a member here (overseas I think)...he custom built/bent the exhaust if I recall. It's been awhile...

Jeff

Current Projects:
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2007, 12:49:39 AM »

on this description it says he put cherry bombs in it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-EtRRxMgRRE&feature=related

i wish my cherry bombs sounded like that Rolling Eyes or i wouldnt of even been in this situation

Josh

Citymudder
Active Forum Member

« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2007, 01:33:04 AM »

Hello There!
Now are the Sidepipes gone.It was to noisy.The best sound for me is Header to Flowmaster 40 Series  and so on.
You found it already. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qq4JiQzP_Dk
But if you realy want to have sidepipes, use some with one tube .
79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2007, 01:38:38 AM »

Quote from: "Citymudder"
Hello There!
Now are the Sidepipes gone.It was to noisy.The best sound for me is Header to Flowmaster 40 Series  and so on.
You found it already. http://youtube.com/watch?v=qq4JiQzP_Dk
But if you realy want to have sidepipes, use some with one tube .

hmmm...i'm not sure now..i sure like the sound of the headers to flowmaster 40's

Josh

Citymudder
Active Forum Member

« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2007, 02:28:43 AM »

here you can find the way how i did
http://transamcountry.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9811
I took at that time that specialties more crooked and was have would end incorporated only the Cherry bombs dazwischengemacht. the sound like the hell however much too loudly therefore we at that the Sidepipes another small gelochtes sheet metal and was somewhat better had converted it jatzt however to Flowmaster and is the exhaust pipes to the driver side as well as in the Nascar-vehicles. this Sound optimal.
I hope the translater works.
79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2007, 02:02:42 PM »

interesting....

okay thanks!

those are flowmaster 40's that you custom-made, right?

Josh

mpeace
Active Forum Member

« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2007, 02:09:47 PM »

Quote from: "79tranny"
on this description it says he put cherry bombs in it.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=-EtRRxMgRRE&feature=related

i wish my cherry bombs sounded like that Rolling Eyes or i wouldnt of even been in this situation

I like this sound the best.
fbodyfan
Active Forum Member

`75 Formula 400

« Reply #15 on: November 28, 2007, 04:50:10 PM »

i had put side pipes on my 77 grand prix back in the day ,early `80`s (if i can find the pic i`ll post it ), they were cool at first and really woke up the 400 that was in it ,(along with the neighborhood), but the car was my daily driver and the pipes got to be a major pain !! even though they had a shield on them i still got burned occasionally , and i couldnt " lay low " when the cops were around , and the gravel and road debris constantly being thrown up on them was a problem , anyway , i ended up takeing them off and never missed or wanted them again since !! just my experiance with them that i thought i would pass along ,,

1975 Formula 400  , gone but in good hands ,
70_71_78
Active Forum Member

« Reply #16 on: November 28, 2007, 08:05:26 PM »

I ran sidepipes and headers on my old '76 daily driver, the key to keeping the roar down is to use the longest ones that you can buy, I cut down the inlet and outlet pipes so that the longest muffler portion I could get would still cover the whole rocker. The headers exited past the side pipe inlet, but that was OK. With some custom work I went all the way around the back of the subframe and then back forward to the inlet of the sidepipe. I think the additional length of pipe behind the header collector also helped quiet it a bit and nothing hung lower than the bottom of the subframe. Very trouble free and looked great, made the car look wider and lower.
Never seen one done that way before, or since.
J
mpeace
Active Forum Member

« Reply #17 on: November 28, 2007, 08:10:42 PM »

Quote from: "70_71_78"
I ran sidepipes and headers on my old '76 daily driver, the key to keeping the roar down is to use the longest ones that you can buy, I cut down the inlet and outlet pipes so that the longest muffler portion I could get would still cover the whole rocker. The headers exited past the side pipe inlet, but that was OK. With some custom work I went all the way around the back of the subframe and then back forward to the inlet of the sidepipe. I think the additional length of pipe behind the header collector also helped quiet it a bit and nothing hung lower than the bottom of the subframe. Very trouble free and looked great, made the car look wider and lower.
Never seen one done that way before, or since.
J

any pics of it?
Hammer
« Reply #18 on: November 28, 2007, 10:24:43 PM »

I had sidepipes on my T/A.  The sidepipes were the ORIGINAL Hooker Super Comp Sidepipes made specifically for a PONTIAC 400 engine.  As everyone knows, or for those who don't, they no longer make sidepipes that are a true fit for a Pontiac Engine. The Hooker Super Comp header sidepipes were one complete unit that came directly off the heads and exited out the side of the car just in front of the rear tire.  
Here's what my car looked like with the sidepipes on:

What my car looks like now:

Althought sidepipes look cool, coming from someone that had them, they were just inches about the ground scraping on my drives apron, train tracks, and forget about on the grass to take pics.  They also burn every relatives legs that forget you have sidepipes.  I wouldn't recommend them.  They had very little back pressure which my engine actually increased HP due to the increase of backpressure.  It's up to you but I wouldn't do it.

Hammer
Rivhard
Active Forum Member

« Reply #19 on: November 28, 2007, 10:53:50 PM »

I hear ya Hammer, but man they look cool.  Even cooler with ceramic coating.

1978 Y88 TA 462 Keisler 5 spd
Mark C.
Active Forum Member

« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2007, 06:32:10 AM »

Quote from: "Hammer"
I had sidepipes on my T/A.  The sidepipes were the ORIGINAL Hooker Super Comp Sidepipes made specifically for a PONTIAC 400 engine.  As everyone knows, or for those who don't, they no longer make sidepipes that are a true fit for a Pontiac Engine. The Hooker Super Comp header sidepipes were one complete unit that came directly off the heads and exited out the side of the car just in front of the rear tire.  
Here's what my car looked like with the sidepipes on:

What my car looks like now:

Althought sidepipes look cool, coming from someone that had them, they were just inches about the ground scraping on my drives apron, train tracks, and forget about on the grass to take pics.  They also burn every relatives legs that forget you have sidepipes.  I wouldn't recommend them.  They had very little back pressure which my engine actually increased HP due to the increase of backpressure.  It's up to you but I wouldn't do it.

Hammer

Hammer, ran the same set up pn my TA also. But I bought the chrome set. Living in PA at the time with emission inspections just starting really made it tough to get it inspected. Adding to what you said I also I had trouble with people nicking the sidepipes with their heels. I was always cleaning heel marks off of them. Plus road dirt and grime was a pain. Guess you didn't have that problem with a balck set.

Also with a RA IV cammed motor without A/C in the car sitting in traffic was fun. All the fumes rose right up the side of the car and into the cabin. Sad

They looked good though.  Laughing

Keep on Pontiyakkin'
Mark
70_71_78
Active Forum Member

« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2007, 07:05:38 AM »

I don't have a photo posting account, but I updated my profile with the only clear picture I have of it as my avitar. Sorry, no plumbing/undercarriage photos, I didn't have any photography gear at the beginning of the 80's!
J
ILLTA77
Oracle Forum Member

Email
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2007, 09:15:03 AM »

When I had my 76 TA. I had installed Hooker headers and the sidepipes. They were loud ! (attracthed my many nice police officers ), they were really low to the ground and would scrape when going into some driveways, and would burn your leg when exiting the car if you stuck your leg on them (just ask a few of my old girl friends)..  They made quite a performance difference over the factory stock manifolds, single cat-conv, ect ... But they looked great when clean, espically on cruise nites.
79tranny
Oracle Forum Member

BLDyRMNc2
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2007, 09:22:12 AM »

alright, well i would really like to go for the look, but i don't want to mess up any performance while doing it by messing up back pressure.

I don't really want the stock tail pipes coming out the back. i actually just finished removing my entire exhaust system (no x pipes or anything)

any ideas one something to do that is different, sounds nice, and looks good?

i was thinking about not neccesarily having sidepipes, but having just the tip come out to the end with the pipes under the car..like have the end of a 2.5 or 3 inch pipe come out in front of my rear tire

Josh

70_71_78
Active Forum Member

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2007, 09:48:26 AM »

My second fav.  Was Hooker Super Comp. headers. 2.5 duals back to stock W72 resonators and tailpipes. Sounded great with an 11 to 1, RA IV cammed 455, 4 speed and 4.11 rear gear. Those small resonators probably didn't help the performance much though.
J
transamcountry.com

You can help support TAC!
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: